Thursday, February 19, 2009

It might not look like much to you...


...but it's a sure sign of love to me. I was running around all over town yesterday and came home to find that Mom had unloaded the dishwasher for me. Now, I know this doesn't sound like 'all that' but, trust me, it is. When her hands hurt so much in the morning that she can't feel the handle of her coffee cup or grasp the spoon for sugar, laborously unloading the dishwasher is a huge sign of love as she knows it's the one thing I hate doing, above anything else in the house. For some reason, I have no problem loading the thing, I just hate hate hate unloading it. It's these little things that Mom continues to do for me that are just so wonderful. She got a fresh batch of oatmeal/raisin cookies (served with a glass of milk) for a snack yesterday.

A few weeks ago, we had snow. I was going out to the mailbox (about 60 feet from the house) to get her newspaper in the morning. As I opened the door, she yelled 'Wear your shoes!' Of course, I had NO intention of wearing my shoes as it was a balmy 37 degrees out and I was only going so far and, after all, I am 50! FIFTY!!! I just looked at her. Her reply was 'I'm still your Mother' - cracked me up.

I believe we've hit on what appears to be a good sleep-aid for her - I've been giving her a tylenol with codeine about 1.5 hours before she goes to bed and takes a sleeping pill. The tylenol gives her enough relief from her knee arthritis pain and, mixing with the sleeping pill, keeps her from waking up as much during the night. She's much brighter in the morning - and, yes, I checked this protocol with her nurse practitioner. Since her age is 92, Mom, me and the nurse practitioner are all on the same wavelength with 'do whatever works.' So, we just tottle along, doing whatever works.

I've been assisting in the dog obedience class on Saturdays and have been just having a blast doing it. Too bad there's no money to be made in dog training. It's really great to be surrounded by pups on a Saturday morning - of course, I get that here everyday!

I'm also starting back up with some pottery classes in the beginning of March. Watch out, Vic - there will be some more crap - er, fine pottery pieces - coming your way. Victoria just LOVES my rejects, and I will admit that I get a kick out of seeing them all in use when I visit her lovely home down by Solomon's Island. I'm sure she runs around putting them all out when she knows I'm on my way but, hey, I'm easy - I don't care.

I continue to play around with eHow articles - I'm up to 77 so far. Mom and I have a lot of fun coming up with these. Here's the latest and greatest (?):

How to Make Juicy Hamburgers On a Budget
Oh, Holly? I've made almost $2 on the Data Management article. Totally cracks me up!

Oh, regarding that shoe story earlier? I wore them...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me comments if you enjoy, hate or have any feelings about this post. It gets sorta lonely around here...