Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Mom and Dad's 68th Anniversary

Today marks the 68th anniversary of the day my Mom and Dad walked down the aisle and into a new, very happy life. Although Dad left this earth 3 years ago, today, June 15th will always mark their anniversary to me.

Subconsciously, I must have realized the date as, the moment I awoke today, I was craving a piece of toast with swiss cheese, topped with a juicy dill pickle. That's right - that combination was Dad's favorite breakfast and, to those of you shaking your heads, don't knock it until you've tried it. It's very delicious.

I made this particular breakfast a lot for Dad. He would vary the request with a slice of red tomato when the garden crop came in, but that's about as adventerous as he was with this particular craving.

And, as I crunch into my treat, I see him grinning, pickle juice running down his chin. I can see his eyes, those gorgeous blue eyes lighting up with each bite but, as the toast waned, they'd sadden just a bit. Until, of course, I'd surprise him with a fresh piece, melted cheese oozing from the sides, the pickle glistening in the morning sun. He'd just light up in delight and mutter a crumb-filled 'Thank you, Honey.'

So, Dad, this toast (literally) is for you. You're well missed but thought of every single day. And, your bride is as happy as she can be without your arms around her. I make sure of that, as much as I can. And she rewards me every single night with that same 'thank you for my day' that you gave me and, even more importantly, with the words you used to say to her every night as you tucked her in bed - not a night goes by that my adorable Mother doesn't kiss me and utter 'Good night, Sweetheart. Sleep well.'

1 comment:

  1. Aww, that's so sweet, Lori. That toast sounds delicious to me!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me comments if you enjoy, hate or have any feelings about this post. It gets sorta lonely around here...