- 1 lb roll of sausage
- 5 shelled hardboiled eggs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- A dusting of flour (I am drooling as I type this)
- A deep fat fryer (who actually has those anymore? Me...)
- Divide sausage into 5 pieces and flatten well so you have 5 disks.
- Wrap each egg in sausage (wet hands help). Close seams - you should have 5 large looking round things.
- Add a dusting of flour to each sausage/egg round. Dip in egg. Roll in breadcrumbs.
- Fry until dark brown (about 8 minutes) in 350F oil.
Holy moly! Now, one would NOT want to have scotch eggs probably more than once a year or I can pass you the name of a good cardiologist.
So, after we fried the scotch eggs, we had all this hot oil and with John and I being ridiculous people, we set about frying everything we could possibly think of. We deep fried a pickle, a hot dog, a piece of salami, a homemade cheese stick (which was as delicious as the eggs), and, as we were running out of ideas, a homemade blintze. The hot dog was really the only loser of the group and the blintze was, if sacriligious, surprisingly delicious.