Thursday, December 16, 2010

Saturday is the new Fry Day!

Ok, so, John and I wanted something different for breakfast a few weekends ago - bacon and eggs just weren't going to cut it. I remembered a delicious breakfast entree that I had when I was in Edinborough, Scotland a few years back - Scotch eggs. Now, dear reader, don't judge unless you've had this. To make 5 scotch eggs, you need:


  • 1 lb roll of sausage
  • 5 shelled hardboiled eggs
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • Breadcrumbs
  • A dusting of flour (I am drooling as I type this)
  • A deep fat fryer (who actually has those anymore? Me...)
  1. Divide sausage into 5 pieces and flatten well so you have 5 disks.
  2. Wrap each egg in sausage (wet hands help). Close seams - you should have 5 large looking round things.
  3. Add a dusting of flour to each sausage/egg round. Dip in egg. Roll in breadcrumbs.
  4. Fry until dark brown (about 8 minutes) in 350F oil.
Holy moly! Now, one would NOT want to have scotch eggs probably more than once a year or I can pass you the name of a good cardiologist. 

So, after we fried the scotch eggs, we had all this hot oil and with John and I being ridiculous people, we set about frying everything we could possibly think of. We deep fried a pickle, a hot dog, a piece of salami, a homemade cheese stick (which was as delicious as the eggs), and, as we were running out of ideas, a homemade blintze. The hot dog was really the only loser of the group and the blintze was, if sacriligious, surprisingly delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me comments if you enjoy, hate or have any feelings about this post. It gets sorta lonely around here...