Sunday, April 3, 2011

What's that you say - TV EARS?????

Wowee! Anyone who is caring for a senior citizen - listen up!

Ron and Linda walked in the other night with these things call TV Ears and, OMG, I'm in love. Mom, on the other hand, was less than amused and downright surly about them. But, WTH, sometimes, it has to be about ME.

So, these things go in your ears and the TV is amplified through the earpieces. This means (get this!), I have the TV on mute (right now!) and Mom can hear it loud and clear. No more bone jarring newscasts that I can hear from the front yard. Now, easier said than done though as Mom is not sold yet. We're weaning her into them.

I've discovered long ago that Mom will do anything in the world for me - as long as it's for ME. So, I'm using that to my full advantage (I'm sure God will forgive me one day).

How this works is that I told her that my doctor said my hearing was suffering because the TV was so loud. She needed to wear the TV Ears so I could mute the TV and it would be quiet for just 30 minutes. Worked like a charm. The house hasn't been this quiet since April 6, 2004 - the day before Dad died and Mom came to live with me full time. Gosh, it's almost been 4 years. In some ways it's hard to imagine it's been that long and in some ways, it seems like she's always been here.

Below pic is a happy Gertie eating oatmeal with maple syrup, brown sugar and butter. Toast and apple butter. She always manages to keep a piece of something that can be divided 6 ways for the dogs. Actually, today, we have 7 dogs running around here as Barley is back and Kelly's chihuahua Marley is here too. John and I are taking off!

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of TV ears. I will use them if/when I get too old to be a good TV companion. I wish my neighbor had a pair...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy, the things are REALLY cool and, if you leave the volume on the TV up, it's almost like a poor man's surround sound. Gertie, however, is not 100% swayed yet.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me comments if you enjoy, hate or have any feelings about this post. It gets sorta lonely around here...